A popular surf beach just minutes from the Cheviot township complete with rental accommodation, camp ground and public toilets.
Cheviot Hills Reserve
Cheviot Hills Reserve centres around the original plantings and homestead of William “Ready Money” Robinson, the colourful landowner of the Cheviot Hills estate from 1857 to 1889. The reserve is a peaceful woodland of exotic and native trees, including many significant specimen trees, some of which are the largest examples of their species in New Zealand.
Under Robinson, the Cheviot Hills Estate consisted of 33,000 hectares. The estate was sold and eventually divided up by the Government in 1892 as ballot blocks for smaller farms and village settlement. The homestead burnt down in 1936, leaving only the sandstone foundations that were quarried from the estate. There are photographs of the homestead and a detailed floor plan inside the open cricket pavilion. The pavilion utilises the homestead’s impressive front steps and there is room for cars to park behind the building.
A series of marked tracks offer visitors a variety of easy walking opportunities through century old oak and eucalyptus trees, to plantations of ash, pine and natives. Old Hawthorne hedges throughout the reserve are original boundary fences for stock, while box hedging, magnolias and rhododendrons surround the homestead’s foundations.
The outside boundaries of the reserve are mostly fenced with the exception of the east boundary, which opens out into open ground of the neighbouring property. The reserve is grazed by the neighbouring farmer so please do not disturb the stock unnecessarily. All plants and flowers are protected.
Entrance to Cheviot Hills Reserve is off State Highway One at the south end of Cheviot, or 1.2 km along Gore Bay Road from the centre of Cheviot.
Additional tracks situated in nearby Findlay’s Plantation and Specimen Plantation are also offered. The tracks are more challenging, but a spectacular view of the township and surrounding countryside can be enjoyed at the northern boundary of Findlay’s Plantation. Access to the Specimen Plantation is off Robinson Street and a track linking to Findlay’s Plantation can be used in dry weather. Access to Findlay's Plantation only is off Caverhill Road.