St Anthony’s Catholic Church, Cheviot


St Johns Anglican Church

The St John's Anglican Church houses an outstanding collection of stained glass memorials by the 19th century artist, writer and designer William Morris. Commissioned by descendents of the Hon. William ('Ready Money') Robinson of Cheviot Hills, the windows were designed by Morris & Co.'s chief designer, John Henry Dearle.

The people of St. John’s are committed to sharing the love of Jesus and absolutely everyone is welcome here. Our services can be at 8am, 10am, or 5pm – Please check the Budget or Church noticeboard for service times.

Each month:

1st Sunday: 10.00am - Holy Communion
7.00pm - Healing Service

2nd Sunday: 10am - Morning Worship

3rd Sunday: 9.30am - Holy Communion (short service)
4.30pm - Children & Family Service with shared meal

4th Sunday: 10am - Holy Communion

5th Sunday: 10am - Holy Communion

For more information or any queries please contact Patricia Leadbeater on 03 319 8910.

Knox Presbyterian Church

The first Presbyterian church was built in Cheviot in 1896.  It was burnt down in 1955.  A tin church was moved onto the site in 1919 as a Sunday School and sold to the RSA in 1952.

The present church building is built with stone gathered from the Hurunui River with a lot of input from the local community.  It was opened in September 1953 and the foundation stone was part of the Mansion House.  In 2018 the decision was made by the Presbyterian church to sell the buildings and in August 2018 the church and hall were purchased by the Cheviot Knox Community Centre Trust on behalf of the Cheviot community.


The Knox Church and hall are now maintained and run by the Trust and are available for hire for weddings, funerals, christenings and other community events.  For more information email or contact Debbie Anderson on 03 319 8549.

Church services will still be held on the first Sunday of the month and Café church on the second Sunday.  For more information please contact Judy Grigor on 03 319 8407.


St Anthony's Catholic Church

Contact: Father John O’Connor
03 319 8730